Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My thoughts

I’m afraid of new culture. After two years of living in United State, still I feel the cultural differences in my daily life. It is everywhere. People’s values and norms are totally different here. It makes me angry sometimes. For example last weekend, I went out for dinner with my friend. We had our food and drink and we were talking. Waiter came and put the check on the table and he left, and this thing happens every time that I go somewhere to eat! Why they doing that? This is not respectful. I can ask for my check whenever I want it! What does this act mean? Pay your food and leave? If that waiter does something like this in my country, restaurant manager fire him because he does not respect customers!



What can I do? I should do something about it! What is the point of getting angry for these small things? I should try to take everything easy. It is not important. It is just some differences.  

3 comments:

  1. What country are you from? I find cultural differences very interesting. It's funny how people don't consider how they're actions might be interpreted differently by a person from another culture. I'd be interested to know what other things frustrate you about American culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was a perspective I have never heard of! It is interesting to learn about cultural differences. My mother is from Mexico and when she came here, she too was shocked by the methods of waiting in restaurants; they did not stay close to the table, ready to serve you at any raise of the hand, as they did in Mexico. As to your dilemma, if you think about it, yes it is different from what you may be used to, but you are still completing the check as you would ask for your check in your home country; when you are ready to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I understand, when the waiter gives you the check at a restaurant in the USA they are just giving you the option of paying whenever you want. It doesn't mean that you need to leave right away or that they want you gone. What are some things that you miss about your culture?

    ReplyDelete